CATS-форум :: Поговорим о кошках
Архив форума 2002-2009

Правила форумаПравила  FAQFAQ  ПоискПоиск  ПользователиПользователи  РегистрацияРегистрация  ПрофайлПрофайл  Войти и проверить личные сообщенияВойти и проверить личные сообщения  ВходВход

EnglishClub
На страницу Пред.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35, 36, 37  След.
Быстрый переход 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35

Предыдущая тема :: Следующая тема :: Версия для печати  
Автор Сообщение
leea
Любитель

СообщениеДобавлено: 04 Дек, Пн, 2006 22:28    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Модальный глагол мочь, быть в состоянии

I can - я могу
I can't - я не могу
Посмотреть профайл Отправить личное сообщение Отправить e-mail
leea
Любитель

СообщениеДобавлено: 04 Дек, Пн, 2006 22:49    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Today we read this text. It's a very nise joke:

Heat and cold

One day a physics teacher talked to his class about heat and cold. Then he asked, "Do you undestand that?" All the pupils said that they undestood, and the teacher began to ask questions.
"John, what is the effect of heat?"
"Heat makes things bigger, sir"
"Good. And what is the effect of cold, Tom?"
"Cold makes things smaller, sir"
"That's right, Tom", said the teacher. "And now, who can give an example?"
"I can, sir", said Dick. "In winter, when it is cold, the days are short; but in summer, when it is hot, days are long."

It's very relevant now! Смех
Посмотреть профайл Отправить личное сообщение Отправить e-mail
Helmsman
Любитель

СообщениеДобавлено: 04 Дек, Пн, 2006 23:51    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Oh, here is an interesting one: I had a dialog with one of the departments in the company I work for and the lady asked me "Are you ready to take a risk of amendment?" I was kind of stunned as what she really meant was "Are you ready to risk to be fined?" and I never heard that "amendment" could mean "fine" (and my thick Oxford dictionary agrees). That lady is not a native English speaker so there is a place for misuse of the word. So any ideas?
Посмотреть профайл Отправить личное сообщение Посетить сайт автора
Адора
Любитель

СообщениеДобавлено: 05 Дек, Вт, 2006 00:40    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Helmsman писал(а):
Oh, here is an interesting one: I had a dialog with one of the departments in the company I work for and the lady asked me "Are you ready to take a risk of amendment?" I was kind of stunned as what she really meant was "Are you ready to risk to be fined?" and I never heard that "amendment" could mean "fine" (and my thick Oxford dictionary agrees). That lady is not a native English speaker so there is a place for misuse of the word. So any ideas?

Amendment has nothing to do with fine, however, the word "amercement" can be used when one is talking about money being extracted as penalty.
Helmsman
Любитель

СообщениеДобавлено: 05 Дек, Вт, 2006 00:52    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Адора писал(а):
Amendment has nothing to do with fine

Yep, that's what I always thought.

Адора писал(а):

however, the word "amercement" can be used when one is talking about money being extracted as penalty.

Wow, that's similar! I couldn't imagine she'd misspell it like this. Actually, this should be quite rare, even 180K Oxford book missing this word. Found it in Lingvo though, thank you.
Адора
Любитель

СообщениеДобавлено: 05 Дек, Вт, 2006 03:12    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Helmsman писал(а):

Wow, that's similar! I couldn't imagine she'd misspell it like this. Actually, this should be quite rare, even 180K Oxford book missing this word. Found it in Lingvo though, thank you.

This word is truly rare. I can assure that most Americans do not know it Подмигивание

I heard the word "amercement" only once from a British guy... That's how I know it.
RS
Любитель

СообщениеДобавлено: 05 Дек, Вт, 2006 08:39    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

My view on all British people is that they're crazy as their versioin is way-way more confusing and they use a bunch of creepy words which dont make sense half the time.

On the other hand, I came upon an interesting thing some people say in response to a sentence that they may not be agreeing with. Oh well, I dont know, just felt like saying it.
For example, I was talking to a guy I know named Daniel and this is a close version to what the conversation was like:
Daniel: May be we should just explode the whole school and so then we wont have any homework for the rest of the semester.
Me: You're drunk.
Daniel: Or am I?

Why in the world would you use "Or am I?" in a normal conversation. But I've noticed its quiet popular. Ok, I'll stop writing my rant/useless 'essay'. Hehe. Подмигивание
Адора
Любитель

СообщениеДобавлено: 05 Дек, Вт, 2006 08:50    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

RS, I think that British way of thinking tends to kind of grow onto you when you deal with them. Недоумение

Actually, I liked the "Or am I?" answer. It is witty. Конфуз
Helmsman
Любитель

СообщениеДобавлено: 05 Дек, Вт, 2006 12:31    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

RS писал(а):

Why in the world would you use "Or am I?" in a normal conversation. But I've noticed its quiet popular. Ok, I'll stop writing my rant/useless 'essay'. Hehe. Подмигивание

Never heard this neither from americans nor from brits so it could be something canadian or even local.
KI$$KA
Любитель

СообщениеДобавлено: 05 Дек, Вт, 2006 18:31    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Crookshanks писал(а):
KI$$KA, that's fine! Have you made it up yourself?
I can read English books, and have read quite a few (that's my hobby), but I can't speak and write... At least, I've never tried. Смущение

Поцелуй Thanks! Of course, I wrote it by myself, but my sister (she is an interpreter) corrected me in Grammar. Подмигивание

Соната писал(а):
Девушки, я вот все спросить хочу - что означает "can"? Это какая-то частица, в связи с чем употребляется? Вопрос Недоумение

CAN - глагол, обозначает "мочь". В значении "физическая или умственная возможность" - physical or mental ability
или в значении просьбы "Can I..., Can you...?" и т.д. - permission

Can - модальны йглагол. В этом его особенность. Модальные глаголы призваны обозначать отношение говорящего к тому или иному действию, и употребляются вместе с глаголами, обозначающими эти действия. В русском языке они тоже присутствуют.
Can НЕ может употребляться в будущем времени.
Для этого у него есть синоним: Be able to…(они может употребляться и в настоящем, и в прошлом, и (что самое главное) – в будущем)
Страница 4 из 37
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов -> ЛУЖАЙКА (архив) Часовой пояс: GMT + 3

Перейти: